What’s dandruff? Signs and symptoms and causes of it? How to avoid?
Dandruff is a natural metabolic condition characterized by excessive shedding of dead skin cells in the scalp. It is common and harmless. The scales or scruff are thin, dry and white to off-white and obtain fall on the collar or shoulders if the shirt. Contrary to what is believed, dandruff is not- infectious and is not a sign of bad hygiene.
Although the real cause of dandruff exacerbation is unknown, many conditions e.g heredity, pathological diseases, and fungi have been cited. Other causes include stress, obesity, and chemicals from hair cosmetics, e.g hair sprays, styling gels, mousse etc.
Signs and Symptoms:
* White or gray flakes on hair and clothing.
* Itchy scalp.
* Irritating scalp.
* Oily scalp.
* Affected area on the skin becomes red and greasy.
Advice to the customers:
* Use anti-dandruff shampoo every day.
* Switch shampoos if that shampoo does not work.
* Rotate shampoo brands to avoid resistance.
* Avoid excessive use of hair cosmetics e.g. gel, mousse, hair spray.
* Avoid scratching and itchy scalp.
* An infusion of rosemary or lavender, or a few drops of essential oil of these herbs rubbed into the scalp may prove to be an alternative home remedy.
* Instruct the patient on the medication and how to use it properly, that is the name of the medication, a frequency of dosage etc.
* In the case of exacerbation despite treatment, instruct the patient to consult a physician immediately.
* Inform the patient that adverse event may occur e.g. photo-sensitivity (especially with the use of coal tar products). In this instances, instruct the patient to contract the physician.
* Discuss avoid to customers thoroughly for more information on the prevention and management of it.